TERA Performance Tweaks

6 replies
If you want to get indepth about Unreal Engine graphical tweaking, read THIS. I personally have only used a few and have seen a marked improvement in performance. Note that these tweaks are for performance purposes, not to make the game prettier. If that is what you desire, there are other options to consider.

These edits are found in the S1Engine.ini file, located in
C:\Program Files\TERA\Client\S1Game\Config\S1Engine.ini

The two graphical tweaks I have taken to using to decrease UI lag both concern shadows and are as follows:

DynamicShadows=True
-> Change this value to False. Shadows are perhaps the most graphic intensive effect that you can actively adjust, and this value controls shadows that are created and updated on a frequent basis, making it CPU intensive. As the CPU is the bottleneck for most systems running TERA, changing this to False should increase performance in situations such as Hailstorm overload and graphically intricate dungeons (CoF / Manaya's Core).

MaxShadowResolution=2048
-> Change this value to a power of 2 less than 2048. I personally use 512 or 256. As this value is exponential, CPU usage increases GREATLY as the value increases. Lowering this can likely create a surplus of resources to be used elsewhere.

Taken from the tweaks website I used as a guide:
Guide notes: Show

As an advanced note, if you are comfortable fooling with hex codes and the intricacies of Antialiasing, the article will have lots to tell you. I find that TERA has awkward smoothing along character features, and if you are the same, I recommend giving the AA portions of the linked post a read. And please please PLEASE backup your originals and edits in separate copies. Patches can overwrite your changes and leave you up a creek without a paddle if you don't have a fallback/template to work from.

The last recommendation I have is to turn off Mouse Smoothing. This function forces the mouse to always move at a rate easily seen by the current framerate. This can cause a delay in the actual position of the cursor, which is generally bad.

1. Navigate to "TERA\Client\S1Game\Config"

2. open up the file "S1Input.ini"

3. Change "bEnableMouseSmoothing=true" to false
Posted Mar 19, 13 · OP · Last edited Mar 19, 13
0  Tips
Ero ao
1154 posts
+32 Tips
Admins
Online on Site
Guild Master
Approved Member
Awesome thanks 8D
GV488.png
Posted Mar 19, 13
0  Tips
For the first time i saw 48 FPS on my client, Thx a lot!
The Rein Family
Kane Rein Black (Jupita Silvermoon) - Mercenary
Laura Rein Black - Business woman
Rebeca Rein - Naive Mechanic
Iluoana - Sylvari mender
Posted Mar 22, 13
0  Tips
136 posts
0 Tips
Approved Member
Totally plan on checking these out when I get home. I am already running high performance settings but if I can make it better. Pardon the bad spelling phone keeps trying to out smart me
Posted Mar 22, 13
0  Tips
Ero ao
1154 posts
+32 Tips
Admins
Online on Site
Guild Master
Approved Member
Also you can find this under the same file

[AppCompat]
MeasuredCPUScore=245.376297
CompatLevelComposite=4
CompatLevelCPU=5
CompatLevelGPU=4

Add this under it

CPUNumLogicalProcessors=(Now add how many cores you have here)

example I have 6 cores so my line looks like this

[AppCompat]
MeasuredCPUScore=245.376297
CompatLevelComposite=4
CompatLevelCPU=5
CompatLevelGPU=4
CPUNumLogicalProcessors=6

This allows TERA to use all your cores instead of 2

Also not sure if it makes a difference but unpark them as well
GV488.png
Posted Jul 26, 13
0  Tips
Ero ao
1154 posts
+32 Tips
Admins
Online on Site
Guild Master
Approved Member
Also changed some things in this nest of code, what I have no clue but hey if you like look and compare

[SystemSettings] StaticDecals=True DynamicDecals=True DynamicLights=True DynamicShadows=False LightEnvironmentShadows=True CompositeDynamicLights=False DirectionalLightmaps=True MotionBlur=True DepthOfField=True AmbientOcclusion=True Bloom=True UseHighQualityBloom=True Distortion=True DropParticleDistortion=False SpeedTreeLeaves=True SpeedTreeFronds=True OnlyStreamInTextures=False LensFlares=True FogVolumes=True FloatingPointRenderTargets=True OneFrameThreadLag=True UseVsync=False UpscaleScreenPercentage=True Fullscreen=True AllowD3D10=False SkeletalMeshLODBias=0 ParticleLODBias=0 DetailMode=2 ShadowFilterQualityBias=0 MaxAnisotropy=4 MaxMultisamples=1 MinShadowResolution=70 MaxShadowResolution=35 ShadowFadeResolution=128 ShadowFadeExponent=2.200000 ResX=1920 ResY=1080 ScreenPercentage=100.000000 SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=1.000000 FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=1.000000 ShadowTexelsPerPixel=1.273240 bEnableVSMShadows=False bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=False bAllowBetterModulatedShadows=True bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=True ShadowFilterRadius=2.000000 ShadowDepthBias=0.012000 ShadowVolumeLightRadiusThreshold=1000.000000 ShadowVolumePrimitiveScreenSpacePercentageThreshold=0.250000 bAllowFracturedDamage=True NumFracturedPartsScale=1.000000 FractureDirectSpawnChanceScale=1.000000 FractureRadialSpawnChanceScale=1.000000 FractureCullDistanceScale=1.000000 TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) LIGHT_TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point) FXAA=True SpeedTreeBranches=True SpeedTreeBillboards=True AllowD3D11=False
GV488.png
Posted Jul 26, 13
0  Tips
295 posts
0 Tips
Approved Member
Oooh. I like the cores mod. That would've really freaking helped while I was on my laptop. >.<
Posted Jul 26, 13
0  Tips
Announcement of